And that is the end of the ampersand project. If you look closely you will see one red boot - all that is left of the Ampersand Chick. Bless her soul, she is resting in peace.
It was a rush to get the above project finished and in the mail before the floor refinishers arrived on the scene to correct the mess from the water leak last October - the one I came back from Turkey to discover. The restoration company brought a carload of boxes and we started loading them, two or three a day, and carting them to the studio. Eventually, they showed up and moved the dining room furniture out and we started piling boxes on top of it. Then they moved the living room out to whatever room was still available in the first studio room and what wouldn't fit there went into the garage. Boxes of books and family memorabilia were everywhere.
Next was our move to the remaining rooms of the studio, where we were to reside for a week. I thought, "This will be a piece of cake! I have an edition to print and we can go out to dinner every night courtesy of our insurance premiums." HA! WRONG - O! As soon as we were firmly ensconced it started to snow and the following week was nothing but snow and ice. We were, effectively, snowed in. It doesn't take much in the Northwest. We didn't want to go out and have one of those crazy drivers who don't slow down for anything slamming into us, so we just stayed put until the roads were clear. My edition was pulled and then some. This is for the Soltice exchange that Charles Morgan curates - the theme is Making a Difference.
The Winds of Change
Image size 8" x 7"
Multi plate intaglio a la poupee
Edition of 30
Somerset Satin paper Gamblin Etching Inks
The image is based, loosely, on the wheat fields of Eastern Oregon which, in recent years, have been sprouting wind turbines right and left. We have a choice on our electric bill to opt for renewable resources for a certain percentage of the bill, which we do. I hope we are making a difference in our own tiny way.
We are now almost totally moved back in to the house and everything put away where it belongs, or close to it, anyway. The only thing left is removing the cardboard from under chair and table legs and putting the carpets back down. That is due to happen tomorrow and when it is complete I'm cracking a bottle of champaign and possibly downing it single handed. (Hopefully not! I am a terrible drunk - going from tipsy to sickly somewhere between two and three glasses.)
Now it is time to tackle the next project and I am determined to KISS (keep it simple, Stupid) as this last one turned out to be a monster to print cleanly. After trying everything this side of Mars to allow me to wipe a Solarplate™ cleanly, I finally opted for acetate masks. They worked, but between the delicate inking and getting the masks to stay in place during their trips through the press, the kill rate was very high! We'll see if the lesson has been learned….